- Suitable from Birth
- AproDerm® Gel is free from SLS, parabens, triethanolamine, fragrances and colours, these excipients are recognised potential irritants and sensitisers as listed by MIMS2. They can be found in many emollients and can aggravate already sensitive skin causing reactions that result in the development of skin inflammation and itchiness. This would encourage a patient to scratch their skin preventing it from repairing and could cause further damage which is why these excipients are absent from AproDerm® Gel hence it can be considered that the risk of a reaction to a patient will be greatly reduced thus aiding compliance.
An irritant is a substance that causes inflammation to the body in a non-immune way and can affect anyone who comes into contact with sufficient amounts of it for long enough, however those with atopic eczema are more sensitive to irritants. The skin can react straight away (immediate response) or after a period of repeated exposure. Irritants remove moisture (by affecting Natural Moisturising Factor) and oils from the outer skin layer allowing pathogens, irritants and allergens to enter the skin causing inflammation and further damage.
A skin sensitiser is a chemical that will cause an allergic reaction when exposed to the skin and, unlike an irritant, it will only affect those who are allergic to it. The initial exposure will not cause a reaction but continued exposure can and once a person has been sensitised to a product, contact with even a small amount of it will cause a reaction. The two conditions allergic and irritant dermatitis may coexist.
Symptoms typically seen include skin which can be red, swollen, blistered, dry, thickened, intensely itchy and cracked depending on whether the reaction is acute or chronic.
For a full list of potential sensitisers found in emollients click here
- A highly moisturising emollient gel without the greasiness of an ointment. Some patients may find ointments unpleasant to apply as they can make clothes greasy and therefore they may be less likely to continue using them.
- Greater emolliency than a cream with a cooling effect as the gel evaporates.
- Has humectant properties and so actively draws and retains moisture within the skin and provides a protective barrier thus helping to reduce dryness and irritation.
- Softens, hydrates and protects the skin.
- Up to 32%1 more cost-effective than similar brands on the market as illustrated in Table 1:
Table 1: Comparison of AproDerm® Gel against similar brands on the market